Monday, June 22, 2009

Our flight arrives an hour late from Melbourne!


PHILIPPINE 2009 – A SAUCY TRIP REPORT
PT1


I love this shot, I was standing on a flower box when this little boy
approached me from below.
Turned out to be the best shot I got on the brand new Canon EOD digital before it conked out.Bloody digital trash.....

It was one of those quick last minute decisions, a random look on travel.com.au revealed airfares at prices that really could not be ignored. We are not talking about one off those pathetic 10% off fares; this was $645, down from the usual costs that hover on the far side of a grand, which is Aussie for $1000.

Big buggars hey!

The next 24 hours were spent in negotiation with ‘She who must be obeyed’, seeking permission to book the fares and thus relieve ourselves of the misery, boredom and evil in our local community in Sydney town.

Ning donates to the local economy!

My reasons for so urgently wanting to return were two fold; of course there was the desire to meet the members of our railway society based in Manila. These guys were terrific and are doing a terrific job over there. I inspected their recently restored trackcar (BUDA car) that is now on display at Tutuban station, as well as the extended photo wall that joins it.

They have so many plans and I feel quite honoured to be a part of it, even though I am eight hours away. Despite the distance, it makes me proud to be able to help my second country, while so many who were born there and moved here, seem not to care less.

Every weekend a sea of hornbags converge on Rizal Park for excercise to loud rock music. It worth a visit, not only for the loud music, but also the great atmosphere.

The other reason I wished so much to return was to see Filipino people back home. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that I have been developing a big grudge towards them, thank mostly to the efforts of vermin in our local community.

This taxi caught me by surprise and I had to do a sprint to photograph it. Why the fuss? I mean these things are all over the place. A closer look will reveal the company name which is the same as my dear little estranged god-son.

Daily hurt, backstabbing and betrayal finally becomes too much and your own self-defence system soon has you putting up walls, becoming negative and ensures a growing dislike for everyone in that group of people.

The view from our room in Mabini Mansion, Ermita. The trees mark Rizal Park (sometimes called Luneta Park) and Manila Port in the background. Big building in the background is the Manila Hotel, formerly owned by the national railways.

Only returning to the Philippines, where people were still truly Filipino and not corrupted by Australian lifestyle, would solve this dilemma, would return me to where my mind once was, would remind me of why I fell in love with the country in the first place.

The old Fuji S5600 still manages to put out the odd ball tearer or two. These two eepneys are by far the best I have ever taken, especially in the area of lighting and colour. Taken on TM Kalaw in Ermita, I tried to find the maroon jeep again, with no success. Still, walang problema, this one is going up on the kitchen wall.
Despite the pain and negativity, I again found myself doing the usual anticipation things of counting days and marking activities as ‘the last time I will be doing this before I go away’. Even on the day, the anticipation had me egging Ana on to get to the airport as early as possible.
Much time was passed organising all the events I had planned and the people I had to meet.

Soon we would be at the airport...................................
Time to enjoy the holiday - a holiday that proved to be the turning point for me, the holiday that made the attitude changes I needed and to cast away the dead weight of unappreciative people back home.
As I type this I am half way through my holiday and I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders, with a positive outlook and plans to be rid of those who don't qualify in the friendship test as soon as I return.
Liberated? You yes, very much so. Things look so much brighter, many thanks to a ceremonial funeral yesterday for these past people in my life.
Rest in NO peace!



Balintawak and the new LRT1 to MRT3 loop closure project is in full swing.

No comments: