Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Whats a barkada!


OK, given two of you Aussie's have asked:

The following is ripped off this WEBSITE!

In Filipino, the word "barkada" means a group of friends.
I've heard it described as a group of close-knit friends or simply a peer group.
The best definition I can come up with is that to a Filipino, one's
barkada is another form of family.

This may sound frightening to foreigners, since surely one group of relatives is enough! While it must be admitted that our loyalties do beget
corruption and nepotism, the upside is strong networks.

The barkada has the best of both worlds, people who know you and love you anyway, but who will allow you to take them for granted... to a certain extent.
This motley crew is my barkada.

Hope this explains all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for the meaning of barkada and I saw your blog. anyway,
try going to 24ever (or click my username) and make your gang a page.

*24ever is from Globe.